Nathalie Bissig (born 1981 in Schwyz, Switzerland; lives and works in Zürich, Uri and Ticino). After Studying at the Lucerne School of art and Design and the Ecole cantonale d’art de Lausanne, Nathalie Bissig completed her education in 2004 and graduated in Photography from the School of Art and Design Zürich. Since then she has been working as a photographer and visual artist. Aside from her familiar surroundings on both sides of the Gotthard, Bissig has traveled in many countries around the world, mainly in Africa and Asia, for her photographic research and reporting. In her artistic work she employs various media, including drawing, photography and object art. Her themes touch landscape and human figure and articulate in subtle ways the often interdependent relationship between one and the other. Since 2012 masks have been a central theme in her work.
– 2017, Grant, UBS Kulturstiftung
– 2015, Urner Werkjahr, Heinrich Danioth Stiftung
– 2009, Studiogrant in Kunming / CN by the City of Zürich.
– 2008, Winner of the Swiss Photo Award in the category Fine Art, EWZ Selection
– 2019, MASKE in der Kunst der Gegenwart, Aargauer Kunsthaus, Aarau
– 2011, Swiss Art Awards, Kiefer Hablitzel, Basel
– 2012, Marooned, Galerie Helga Maria Bischoff, Berlin
– 2009, Werk- und Atelierstipendien der Stadt Zürich, Helmhaus, Zürich
– 2008, Top of central Switzerland, Kunstmuseum Luzern
– 2019, Catalogue ‘MASKE in der Kunst der Gegenwart’ Aargauer Kunsthaus, Aarau. Scheidegger & Spiess, Zürich
– 2019, DU das Kulturmagazin, Nr 894 - MASKE, Beitrag von Yasmin Afschar und Madeleine Schuppli, ‘Sein, wer man auch ist’
– 2019, Kaum einer wird sich noch erinnern. Uri damals, ein Epilog von Nathalie Bissig, hrsg. von Nathalie Bissig
– 2016, Turbomagazine # 51, Nathalie Bissig, Masken, hrsg. von Adrien Horni